Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Bounty of Beauty


Beginnings

Yesterday’s post ended with some of my thoughts on Acceptance. I’ll Begin this post with what came to mind as I wrote that bit yesterday – we need to accept ourselves if we want to move past certain things and be able to approach Beginnings. Beginnings that will lead us to those goals, dreams, wide and open meadows full of flowers that we aren’t allergic to, and the cutest animals ever, and sunbeams that always warm and never burn. Well, it’s a thought. =)
Beginnings are typically touted as completely wonderful, perfect, and amazing. What we don’t always choose to acknowledge is that they are also scary, sometimes even terrifying. The bravery that it takes to go through that beginning, to actually decide to try something new, that is something amazing. I think we, as a society, need to realize that, and need to acknowledge it. I hear a lot of cheers for those who finish well, and I agree that finishing well is completely amazing and needs to be celebrated. We need to, however, also recognize what it takes to start something new – Beginnings can be beyond scary, and going for what they represent can be the Bravest thing we ever do.

Bravery               

Bravery, or ‘Braverism’ – as I believe it’s referred to as in the amazing musical, Wicked – is something we associate with doing something that is dangerous. It also refers to doing something that scares us. Now, for some, Bravery is jumping from a plane, going into battle with the armed forces (thank you ALL for your service!), fighting crime or fires (thank you all!), and other such actions. Are these Brave? Abso-freaking-lutely, though the idea of jumping out of a perfectly good plane – for any reason – is not my bag o’chips, by any means. If it rocks your socks, go for it, and I’ll wave from the ground. Bravery comes in many other forms as well. It can show itself when one comes out of any kind of closet to a loved one, or asking out that person on whom you’ve had a crush forever. It can look like someone who takes a mark on stage or on a starting line. Someone who memorizes facts and participates in a Bee in front of others – wow! – or who gives a speech in front of coworkers or supervisors…or the press.  For quietly standing up for what you believe in, especially when your voice shakes, and you know – or find out  - that you stand alone for what you feel is right; these are all so brave. Acting without fear doesn’t denote Bravery; acting because you believe it’s the right thing to do does. And that is simply Beautiful.

Beauty

Every day I am amazed at just how much Beauty there is in the world. Yes, I realize that there is a lot of ugly and hurtful stuff out there, but I truly believe that the world’s Beauty supersedes the negativity. A stranger holding the door to make your day just that tiny bit easier. One spouse giving another flowers, just to see that loved one smile. A student returning a book he isn’t done with so a classmate that he can’t stand can read it first. A smile on a grandparent’s face while watching a grandchild take those precious first steps, and the joy in someone’s eyes when they realize that the far-off, seemingly unachievable goal is what they just managed to do. Beauty is also in the written word – how people express themselves. Putting yourself out there in the Land of Cyberness, in any form, and how you can express yourself, put it on paper for others to explore and try to understand later – be it art or in Books. That is Beautiful.

Books

I am a self-proclaimed bibliophile. I likes me some books…at least a bit. =)  I constantly am reading books – in physical and electronic form, I like both – and absolutely love the written word. Why? The answer differs, depending on who you ask. Partially, it is because I’m a writer, and I fully believe in the concept that, in order to become a great writer, I must be a great reader. I love to joke that I will suffer through the pains of reading good writing is my load to carry, *gasp* ah, poor me! *dramatic sigh with a silly pose*  I also love Books, which works well for me because I run a library. I run the library in an elementary school. I have the best job in the world because I get to introduce young students to books of all kinds , and help them get hooked on reading. Yes, there are frustrations that crop up, like a student who wants so badly to read a certain book, but who isn’t there yet, no matter what he or his teachers try. When that student comes to me – even years later – and shows me what he is currently reading, and tells me what other Books he likes…that is the Beauty in Books. Working in an elementary school shows me Beginnings, a great deal of Bravery –in both students and staff – and Brings me a great deal of hope for our future.

May the Brightest of Blessings grace you and yours.

Thank you for your time. I hope to see you tomorrow, as I explore where my Brain chooses to go with the letter C.

JBB

1 comment: