Monday, April 28, 2014

X’s eXtraordinary Resume


X’s eXtraordinary Resume

Today, while contemplating what to write about for X Day of the A to Z challenge, I realized just how many things the twenty-fourth letter of the alphabet does every single day for us. Quite a few letters work hard for us, like the letter B, who helps us make the motor sounds for a toy boat; S helps us speak to snakes; M allows us to express satisfaction with the taste of something; Z shows us snores and the sound a bee and mosquito make. All kinds of letters, all kinds of sounds, and all kinds of amazing things that each of them does to help us communicate. The letter X, while not used in this way. Does have quite an impact on our lives

Kisses

I have received many a letter and card from some amazing family members over the years that had kisses sent along with the mail included at the end in the form of X’s. I’ve heard arguments that the O’s that often accompany the X’s are the kisses, as they are shaped like kissy mouths, and the X’s are hugs, because some people feel they look like arms. I see the O’s as complete hugs and the X’s as kisses (pursed lips), so I will go with that. J X’s at the end of a letter let the recipient know how much the sender loves them, and receiving love is always a great feeling.

Treasure!

I have absolutely no idea whether real treasure maps exist, and if they do, do any of them actually have an X marking the map where the treasure can be found (provided the map was carefully followed, of course). I admit my dorkiness in life does extends to finding it completely hilarious when a movie involves a treasure hunt and the scenery actually includes a gigantic X under the characters’ feet denoting where the treasure can be found if they just look down. Yes, I do appreciate the far more subtle ways that movie makers of magic have characters find treasure, but the obviously dorky is sometimes the perfect solution. Plus, it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling of happiness that maybe, in some specific cases, things might end up being that simple. Every once in a while, anyway.

A Signature

I work in education, as I’ve mentioned many times before (running an elementary school library), so I definitely know the importance of literacy and how it can positively impact a life, and its lack can and will do the exact opposite. I love explaining to students how some people, who didn’t know how to write their names (this totally shocks them) would make their mark or X in place of their signature. I find this proof of illiteracy and the effect that it had on people’s lives is one of the best real world links for my students. Even my students with the most reading and writing difficulties can sign their names. That gives some of them great confidence. I’ve had students – at various reading ability levels – take that information and decide to improve their reading skills in order to get as far from that level of illiteracy as possible. Do I think less of those who cannot read? Absolutely NOT. I’m just really glad that so many of my students don’t want that as part of their futures. It gives me a great deal of hope.

Whether X marks your spot, shows you where you signed or indicated something, or makes you want to lay one on someone special, I wish you the best (and may all of your X’s marking countdowns toward something special rack up as quickly as possible).

XX (Kisses! What were you thinking? Tsk! J),


J

No comments:

Post a Comment