Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Happiness


Hello!

I hope this day has treated and is treating you well. Today, I shall follow up my G-day post about Gratitude with one listing some of the H-words that give me reasons to feel Grateful

Humans – we have so many ways we can and do help the world, each other, and the future. Wow! The potential that is within each of us…let’s access that stuff and get to work! J
Hope- I always have this, and count that fact as one of my biggest blessings. When Life feels rather on the ‘suckage’ side of things, the kernel of Hope for better circumstances on their way brings a 
Huge wave of Happiness to me.

Hugs – these are the best, especially from kids and dogs.  At work, I’m blessed that I constantly have students asking me if they can have a Hug. Yes, in this day and age, we have to be really careful with certain boundaries, but when a young student comes up and is so happy to see you that he or she wants to Hug you – man! That feeling rocks!

Hearts – the Hearts I see in so many people – Huge, I tell you! We have our school’s annual outdoor school program in two weeks, and we have so many volunteers, from other staff members and former staff members, to community volunteers, to High school students who are willing to miss class (and still have to make up the work) and other activities to help make our science curriculum-centered program succeed and help get these students out to enjoy and experience and learn to love nature – WOWZA!

Huskies – well, dogs in general. Neither of my fur babies is a Husky, but it was the first type of pup that I could think of that begins with an H. I love dogs. I love all kinds of animals, but dogs are a major soft spot for me. Their ability to love so generously, even after being treated badly (both of my pups are rescue babies), and after having to stay Home every day while I go to work…they always greet me like I’m their favorite person, and they forgive me for leaving. Even if I was only taking out the recycling!

Humane Societies – neither of mine came from a Humane Society, but the work that these places and people do gives me the warm fuzzies!  In the US, you can go to http://www.humanesociety.org/ to find out how you can Help out!

Helpers – at work, I constantly hear students asking if they can Help out with some project or another. Sometimes, it’s washing tables after their classes eat lunch, picking up balls after recess, carrying the bathroom passes for me while I’m on recess duty (so I don’t have to strain myself with those Heavy pieces of plastic, one student actually said, lol). I even have a crew of students who come and help me in the library, since I’m the only one in there otherwise.  I also see a great number of people Helping out others – just because – all over the place: holding doors, picking up dropped items, unloading a cart at the market, making a cranky child smile or giggle or just look at them like they are bonkers (giving the parent with a headache from the whining a small break).

High-fives – I had a student who was working really hard on a test today, harder than this student typically decides to work. When the student was done with the test, the student went back to class, then got a note from the classroom teacher to come back. The student wanted a high-five, which I often give when I see someone working really hard. This student waited while I wrapped up the testing session with other students, then asked for a high-five. We high-tenned. It was SO worth it!

Horticulture – first of all, I love that word. It’s such a great-sounding word. I love to garden. Helping things grow – especially if they’ll help Honey bees (and others) survive or will give me a yummy piece of fruit or vegetable to eat – what a great feeling!

These things make me Happy. What makes you Happy?


JBB

1 comment:

  1. It's the little things that make me happy! Spending time with my family, drinking coffee, writing, reading a book, - those are my sources of happiness!

    ReplyDelete